In 2021, some progestogen-only pills such as Hana® were licensed to sell over the pharmacy counter with no need for a doctor’s appointment. Pharmacists are trained medical professionals, and they will have a consultation with you to see if Hana® is right for you.
Hana® is also available to purchase online via Hana Direct. If you choose to order online, you will complete an online checklist of eight questions which will help identify any reasons that Hana® might not be the right choice for you. These answers are then reviewed by a registered pharmacist. If they agree that Hana® is right for you, they will process the order which will be delivered to your house.
What is Hana®?
Hana® is a progestogen-only pill containing desogestrel that works primarily by preventing ovulation so there is no egg for any sperm to fertilise. It also helps stop fertilisation by thickening the mucus in your cervix, preventing sperm from getting through. As a progestogen-only pill, Hana® does not contain oestrogen and may be suitable for people who cannot or do not want to take oestrogen.
When used correctly, Hana® is more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. Hana® is suitable for many women and people with uteruses. Since there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to contraception, before you are able to purchase the pill you must have a consultation with a pharmacist to see if this is the right choice for you.
Hana®’s online consultation
When purchasing online via Hana Direct, you will need to complete an online consultation. This will help the pharmacist check if Hana® is the right option for you, or if there is a reason you may want to choose another method of contraception.
The consultation includes questions about any health conditions you may have, allergies, medication and whether there’s a chance you’re pregnant.
If you decide to order Hana® online, there are a few options to choose from. You can choose a one-off purchase of a 3-month supply of Hana®, or you can sign up for Hana®’s subscription service where you will benefit from free P&P with your regular orders. Find out which option is right for you below.
What is Hana Direct’s subscription service?
- You can order a one-time guest purchase for your 3-month supply.
- There is no need to create an account with the one-time guest purchase option, but this does mean you will have to re-enter your details if you want to buy Hana® online again.
- With this option, you will not get reminders to renew your purchase, and you will not receive free repeat deliveries.
Hana®’s subscription service
- Hana® Direct also offers a subscription service with free delivery which you can sign up for when purchasing your first pack of Hana®.
- You can quickly create an account which makes it easy to repeat your order.
- When your supply is running low, you will receive a reminder email asking you to repeat your order of Hana® – you will never be sent an order that you did not request.
- Before re-ordering Hana®, you will need to verify that nothing has changed in terms of health or medication since your last order.
- Hana®’s subscription model offers free delivery, and there is no minimum sign up period – so you can cancel whenever you want.
- Both options (subscription or one-time guest purchase) cost just £7.32 per month (or 26p per day) for a 3-month supply.
Why should I get a 3-month supply of Hana®?
All GPs will recommend starting with a 3-month supply of a new contraceptive pill, because it sometimes takes longer than a month for your body to adjust to a new or different contraceptive pill. It’s a good idea to try it for a few months to see whether that particular pill feels like the right fit for you. It is also important that you take one tablet every day without a break between packs, so having the next pack available is a good idea.
As with any medication, some people may experience side effects from Hana®. These side effects are often temporary and subside within a few months. Find out more about possible side effects. If you have any concerns or if you want to switch your contraception, talk it over with a pharmacist or doctor so you can discuss what your options are.
If you have previously ordered Hana® you can order up to a 12-month supply, following pharmacist approval.
What happens when I order Hana®?
When you order Hana® from Hana Direct , you will receive an email acknowledging that your order has been sent to the pharmacist. You will then receive another email to let you know that your order has been accepted. If your order requires further checks, you will be contacted by a pharmacist for a telephone consultation.
Your packs of Hana® will be sent via Royal Mail 48 for standard deliveries and you should receive your order within 4 working days. You can also choose Next Day or Saturday/Sunday delivery, which will be sent out using DPD.
Hana® is delivered in a discreet unbranded package that fits through a standard-sized letterbox. There is no need to sign for your purchase.